Sunday 21 February 2010

Rudders.



It's still too cold to do much in the garage so after cleaning up the aluminium rudder blade I painted it in the kitchen. I have never seen an aluminium rudder on a twelve before and I can see why. This one weighs in at whooping 5lb 6 oz! It is the original so it will be used.
I need to get the centreboard sand blasted before I can repaint it.


The floor boards are now all glued together ready for varnishing. The boom is cleaned up and has had a thinned coat of varnish applied this afternoon.
With regard to weight I decided to compare it the rudder from N3434. I am pleased to note that the whole rudder assembly (which is need of a small repair and a coat of paint) is less than the aluminium blade on it's own.
Hopefully the weather will soon warm up so I can finish the decks. I then need to get on with N3434 as it will soon be time to go sailing this year.

No comments: